We’re kicking off March Madness with a workout focused on Individual Medley (IM) swimming. This workout integrates drills and intervals focused on the each stroke type and then pulls it all together with 4 x 100 IMs. This is a great chance to work body position, drills, and kick off all four strokes in an IM.
If you are completely new to IMs and or if certain strokes such as butterfly scare you…recognize that you are no alone! The most you will swim is a 25 at a time. Then you will work some transition 50s to get ready for some IMs. If Butterfly or Breaststroke is still hard for you, try a couple strokes at a time and then swim Free. Ultimately, if you aren’t quite ready for 4 x100 IM, go ahead and substitute the IM for Freestyle.
Let’s keep working on improving all strokes and distances for the TYR Last One Fast One challenge coming up in mid-April.
For Apple Watch users, don’t forget to enable Guided Workouts under Labs (found in Settings). This new feature will walk you through the workout – interval by interval – so you don’t have to memorize or print out this workout!
Click on the below button on your mobile device to view this workout in the Swim.com app.
- Warmup – Let’s get warmed up. Remember to start off slow and focus on form.
- 300 Free or your choice @1:00 rest
- Main Set – This is where we are breaking down the IM swim into each stroke type.
- 4 x 25 @ :30 (Back kick in Soldier)
- 4 x 25 @ :30 (Swordfish to L Drill )
- 4 x 25 @ :30 (Back Build to a sprint )
- 4 x 25 @ :30 ( Dolphin Kick on Back in Streamline)
- 4 x 25 @ :30 ( 2-2-2 Fly Drill)
- 4 x 25 @ :30 ( Fly Build to a sprint)
- 4 x 50 @ 1:30 (Fly to Back)
- 4 x 25 @ :30 (Breast Kick arms at side touch ankles )
- 4 x 25 @ :30 ( Flutter Breast)
- 4 x 25 @ :30 (Breaststroke Build)
- 4 x 25 @ :30 (Flutter kick on back )
- 4 x 25 @ :30 (Arm pit touch)
- 4 x 25 @ :30 (Freestyle build)
- 4 x 50 @ 1:30 (Breast to Free)
- 4 x 100 IM @ 2:00
- Cool Down – Use this set to both cool down and focus on good technique. Pick one thing on each interval to work such as good head position, early vertical forearm, good rotation, breathing without lifting the head, etc.
- 8 x 25 Free @:30
Head Coach / Aquatics Director
Los Gatos Swim and Racquet Club